Ashdown Sailing Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Sunshine Cruise 2018 Mini-report  (Read 662 times)

Admin (Ian S)

• Administrator
Sunshine Cruise 2018 Mini-report
« on: 05 Feb 2018, 10:41 »

In the end, 15 hardy souls except soft Phil Browne attended the sunshine cruise as planned. All 3 boats set off Saturday morning in light winds. As we passed Cowes we came across Two of Diamonds which is a club boat but which was not on the cruise. We had a close-quarters chat with them as they crossed our path on their way into Cowes. Not much wind, but some of us did manage a sail or motor sail for some of the way to Yarmouth.

All 3 boats arrived Yarmouth Saturday pm, mooring together on the walk-ashore finger pontoons. We went to the Royal Solent YC, where they provided us with a table and served what was generally agreed as a fine meal. A good place to go again.

Sunday morning saw a still sea and no wind, yet the forecast was for a 5-6. Within an hour of setting off, the wind did indeed pick up but from the East, not the forecast South. Red Cloud and Katy 1 had 20 knots on the nose for the return to Gosport, but Libra II had a nice sail under genoa alone for their beam reach up S'ton water. About midday the light rain turned to heavy rain and the wind increased, so it was in the end a relief to be safely moored up again.

It was good to get out on the water, and the promised sunshine did indeed appear although fleetingly.

(Posted on behalf of Paul Blanchard - Cruise Organiser for SS Cruise)

Admin (Ian S)

• Administrator
Re: Sunshine Cruise 2018 Mini-report
« Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 2018, 11:16 »

Thanks Paul,

Interesting report. I like reading mini-reports for cruises that I don't managed to do. Glad to hear that the sun did appear.

Did anyone get a pic of Two of Diamonds underway? I would like to replace the one on the website

http://www.ashdownsailing.org.uk/Images/twoofdiamonds.jpg

Thanks

Ian